NHS Nightingale Hospital
A brand new hospital - NHS Nightingale Hospital - is being set up at the Excel Centre in East London and will be equipped with oxygen and ventilators. It will be able to accommodate up to 4,000 patients and is being built with the support of military planners and engineers.
NHS Volunteer Responder
The government is calling on people to sign up to become an NHS Volunteer Responder and join an army of 250,000 volunteers helping the most vulnerable people in our communities from delivering essential prescriptions to calling to check on the wellbeing of those self-isolating.
Retired doctors and nurses
11,788 NHS have volunteered to come out of retirement and return to work
Stay at home
To protect the NHS you must stay at home to help stop the virus spreading and save lives.
You may only go out for the following very limited purposes:
• Shopping for basic necessities, as infrequently as possible.
• One form of exercise a day – for example, a run, walk or cycle – alone or with members of your immediate household.
• Any medical need, to provide care or to help a vulnerable person.
• Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home.
Here is an updated list of business and premises which must close
The police will be given powers to enforce the following restrictions:
• Dispersing gatherings of more than two people in public, excluding people you live with.
• Issuing fines to anyone who does not comply with these rules.
• Closing shops that are not essential, as well as playgrounds and places of worship.
The Government has brought 3.5 million antibody tests for coronavirus to find out whether people have been infected already and are therefore immune. Frontline doctors and nurses will be prioritised.
Millions of items of protective equipment have been delivered to hospitals around the country with the help of the army.
Stay at home